The Fractals Workshop is a generative design and computation workshop that combines logic, geometry, natural systems and structure. This workshop is an adaptation of the teaching methods practiced at the Design Research Lab at the AA School of Architecture in London.
The focus is on developing prototypical design systems from the bottom up using analog algorithms versus designing from the top down. The method is inspired from the organic growth of natural systems, parametric architecture, structural systems, mathematics and geometry, and algorithms. The workshop encourages teamwork, design thinking, 3D thinking and logic.
Fractals Workshop series is an ongoing iterative design research that has no final output. Past participants of the workshop have been:
• undergraduate and post-graduate students of architecture and various design programs
• young professionals working in design, architecture, computation and related disciplines
• professionals from all backgrounds, with an interest in geometry, craft, art and design
• elementary school students from private and international schools
• school students from disadvantaged backgrounds
• families and friends of all ages and backgrounds
Since 2011, the Fractals Workshop has been to Hyderabad, Chennai, Vellore, Roorkee, Surat, Kochi, Kollam, Sharjah, Dubai, Doha and Bahrain, and has been taught in-person at various schools of design and architecture online.
The Fractals Workshop and its teaching methods and outcomes are intellectual property of Takbir Fatima and DesignAware, and cannot be legally taught by any individuals or institutions other than Takbir Fatima or DesignAware.